Home

Myths on turning off fluorescent lights

We all understand that turning off lights saves energy and our environment (See Kill the unused lights), but what about the myths around fluorescent lights that keep a great many from turning fluorescent lights off to save energy? Well there is only a very small amount of truth in these and in most cases they do not apply at all.

Pay to heat a pool - never!

What a better way to use free

Cut your CFP and save $$$

Regardless of how new your home is or how well it's insulated it still loses heat to the outdoors in cold weather. If you're not setting your home temperatures back when you are not at home, or at night when you sleep, consider this a very easy method of saving considerable money while also cutting your Carbon Foot Print.

How? Turn your thermostat down before bed then back up in the morning. Or, purchase a programmable thermostat to do it automatically. Every 1 deg you shave could save as much as 2%. (10 degrees could save you 20% of your fuel cost.) You can be the judge as to how low and for how long, but committing to this little trick can save us all.

Check out your potential savings here, and do not fall victim to this myth:

Myth: By turning the heat down at night in the winter, I will lose the load and it will cost me more to reheat the home in the morning when I turn the furnace thermostat back up.

Fact: Lowering the thermostat setting by 1°C (2°F) for eight hours each day or evening can yield a savings of up to 2% on the cost of heating. This applies to either manually setting back your thermostat or using a programmable set back thermostat. An average house can expect to save about 3% to 5% on its heating cost by lowering the temperature setting by 1°C (2°F) over the heating season.

For the price of a warm sweater, some warm sweatpants and an extra blanket, you could be savings hundreds on your fuel bill!

Powered by Qumana

Yogurt goes solar!

Here's a perfect application for solar energy.

Yogurt fermentation is a low temperature process but, nonetheless, it takes energy to sustain the low but constant heat required to turn milk into yogurt. Stoneyfield Farms has decided to capture the energy they use for fermentation from - the sun! Natural yogurt made with natural energy - what a concept!

Good call Gary. Stonefield Farms gets the TsunamiGreen vote.

Powered by Qumana

Lessen that Sink Carbon!

Yesterday's Conserve brings us today's Consume!

Carbon from your sink and shower?

We all enjoy the warmth of a nice steamy shower. Energy for heating aside, have you ever given thought to what's required to move your water? No! We'll help you.
On average the pumping of 1 gallon of water each day will use 17.5lbs of coal/gal/yr. Therefore, a daily shower for 5 minutes will use 350lbs of coal/yr while a daily shower of 10 minutes will use in the area of 700lbs/yr. Using 10 minutes, which is the average a person showers, multiplied by 3 people per household, for the approximate 100 million homes in the US, this leave us with:

  • Sulfur Dioxide = 735,000 Tons - Main cause of acid rain
  • Nitrogen Oxides  750,000 Tons - Causes smog and acid rain
  • Carbon Dioxide 272,000,000 Tons - Greenhouse gas responsible for global warming

These numbers reflect only the energy required for motion. The energy required to heat water is far greater.

And no, we're not advocating you stop showering! But it is why leaky faucets, a running unused garden hose, leaky toilets, running a faucet while your tooth brush is in your mouth, rinsing of dishes before you put them in the dish washer, and the general overuse or wasting of water is so environmentally destructive.

Remember; the force of nature - is YOU!

Syndicate content